In Maine, a government regulatory agency named the Maine Public Utilities Commission regulates the various utilities of the state. The commission regulates electric, natural gas, telecommunications, and water utilities to ensure that Maine consumers enjoy safe, adequate, and reliable services at rates that are just and reasonable for both consumers and utilities.
The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is a governmental agency responsible for protecting and restoring Maine’s natural resources. The DEP enforces the state’s environmental laws. The DEP is responsible to prevent, abate, and control pollution of the air, land, and water in the state.
The DEP aims to:
- prevent, abate, and control the pollution of the air, water, and land;
- preserve, improve, and prevent diminution of the natural environment of the state; and
- protect and enhance the public’s right to use and enjoy the state’s natural resources.
The Department administers programs, educates, and makes regulatory decisions in order to achieve the above goals. In order to pursue this mission, the department treats its employees and the public with courtesy, respect, and consideration and deals with constituents in a way that is fair and honest and mindful of the special qualities that make Maine a unique place to live and work.
The Maine Department of Conservation is a natural resource agency whose bureaus oversee the management, development, and protection of Maine’s most special places. The department’s mission is to benefit the residents, landowners, and users of the state’s natural resources by promoting stewardship. It ensures balanced use of Maine’s land, forest, water, and mineral resources.
In Maine, the Department of Agriculture is the state’s lead agency that fosters opportunities for the agriculture community and promotes stewardship of Maine’s natural resources.
The department functions include:
- promoting the stewardship of Maine’s natural resources;
- protecting the integrity of commercial and consumer transactions; and
- fostering a work environment that encourages teamwork, trust, creativity, and professional development.